I'll taste them all so you don't have to!

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Domaine St. Vincent, NV, New Mexico, USA


So this is it.  I'm putting fingers to keys again in search of the greatest, most cost-efficient wine that the world has ever known!  Most unfortunately, that is not the wine I'm reviewing today.  Not actually particularly close either.  I had sort of hoped to come back on a big, glorious note... alas I ended up unceremoniously deciding to review a bottle of bubbly at a little soiree at my apartment this weekend.  I will admit, we kind of cobbled together a cocktail menu that consisted of donated beer, wine, liquor, and assorted mixers from all kinds of different individuals.  The result was quite splendid and pleasant.

This wine, however, wasn't quite in the same spirit!  This Domaine St. Vincent sparkling wine turned out to be from none other than New Mexico, USA.  Yes, New Mexico.  While the Southwestern state boasts some phenomenal cuisine (and an incredible selection of peppers!), the wine often leaves something to be desired.  This bubbly boo was no exception!  

The nose was kind of bright, fizzy with some peach and rose notes... I could have been totally overanalyzing this guy though.  Frankly, I'm not sure how much of a nose this thing can really have.  The first taste revealed something interesting.  This wine has one speed only!  Not a super terrible one, I guess.  It has nice bubbles, very fine and in adequate amounts, but there is just one plain taste going on.  I sort of get a vanilla rose flavor, but there's a metallic backdrop to that flavor consisting of whatever steel drum this stuff was aged it.  If it was aged at all.

For around $12, buy a Cava or a Prosecco.  Really just buy one of those okay?

Alcohol: 12%
Origin: NM, USA
Price: ~$12 at Bristol Farms, Pavilions, Vons, and other grocery stores
Rachels Grade: B-   There is no getting around it, there are many better sparkly guys for this price.  I would take a Segura Viudas Brut over this thingum every time, and twice on Sundays (brunch, hello.).  Overall, we could all do better.  Go Italian or Spanish with your sparkling, and you'll beat this little janky American joint almost every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment