I'll taste them all so you don't have to!

Friday, January 30, 2015

Schramsberg Blanc De Blancs 2008, Northern Coast, CA

I am going to (again) write about a topic near and dear to my heart - sparkling wine.  Today's sparkler is brought to you as a toast to my last day at CapLinked, and as a send-off into the new wine world of Club W!

Of course, when I do a toast of this nature (extra important and special), I want to go with a winner.  Times like these are not for guessing and checking.  Farewell toasts deserve some fantastic fizz.  Therefore, I turned to my longtime favorite, Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs.  "Blanc de Blancs" refers to the types of grapes used in this particular bottle, which is 100% Chardonnay.  The same winemaker also has a killer Blanc de Noirs, (white from black) made of 100% Pinot Noir grapes.  Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Pinot Meunier are usually all combined to create traditional champagne, one white grape and two reds!  Bet you didn't know that yet.

So, although I'm familiar, this fresh and fruity nose never ceases to delight.  It's super vibrant and has pretty big bubbles, though they're soft and supple on the tongue.  There is just such a lovely baked pear/apple quality to this guy, too.  It's a little yeasty, super zesty.  Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs is nice and vibrant with just the right amount of acidic structure.  I'm a fan, what can I say?  

Alcohol: 13%
Origin: North Coast, CA, USA
Varietal: 100% Chardonnay
Price: ~$30 at Total Wine, Pavilions, Vons, and other grocery stores
Rachels Grade: A-   Every time I just want a phenomenal, semi-special-occasion bubbly, this is my go-to.  I'v loved Schramsberg since I first tasted it sort of unceremoniously during a happy hour at R+D Kitchen in Dallas, TX.  I've never been disappointed, and you won't be either!  Bring this to your boo's house for your next date night dinner.  If you were ever going to get to third base, this guy should seal the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment